|Package | PIN:||ZQZ | 96|
|Temp:||S (-10 to 85)|
- USB Power Delivery (PD) Controller
- Mode Configuration for Source (Host), Sink (Device), or Source-Sink
- Bi-Phase Marked Encoding/Decoding (BMC)
- Physical Layer (PHY) Protocol
- Policy Engine
- Configurable at Boot and Host-Controlled
- USB Type-C Specification Compliant
- Detect USB Cable Plug Attach
- Cable Orientation and Role Detection
- Assign CC and VCONN Pins
- Advertise Default, 1.5-A or 3-A Current for 5-V USB Type-C Power
- Port Power Switch
- 5-V, 3-A Switch to VBUS for Type-C Power
- 5-V to 20-V, 3-A Bidirectional Switch to or from VBUS for USB PD Power
- 5-V, 600-mA Switches for VCONN
- Overcurrent Limiter, Overvoltage Protector
- PD Slew Rate Control and Hard Reset Support
- Port Data Multiplexer
- USB 2.0 HS Data, UART Data, and Low Speed Endpoint
- Sideband Use Data for Alternate Modes (DisplayPort and Thunderbolt)
- Power Management
- Gate Control and Current Sense for External 5-V to 20-V, 5-A Bidirectional NFET Switch
- Power Supply from 3.3-V or VBUS Source
- 3.3-V LDO Output for Dead Battery Support
- BGA MicroStar Junior Package
- 0.5-mm Pitch
- Through-Hole Via Compatible for All Pins
- UL Recognized: E169910 and E339631
- Standards Used: 2367
- IEC Certification: NO88109
- Standards Used: 60950-1(ed.2);am1;am2
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Texas Instruments TPS65982ABZQZR
The TPS65982 device is a stand-alone USB Type-C and power delivery (PD) controller providing cable-plug and orientation detection at the USB Type-C connector. Upon cable detection, the TPS65982 device communicates on the CC wire using the USB PD protocol. After successful USB PD negotiation is complete, the TPS65982 enables the appropriate power path and configures alternate mode settings for internal and (optional) external multiplexers.
The mixed-signal front end on the CC pins advertises default, 1.5 A or 3 A for USB Type-C power sources, detects a plug event and determines the Type-C cable orientation, and autonomously negotiates USB PD contracts using bi-phase marked coding (BMC) and the physical layer (PHY) protocol.
The port power switch provides up to 3 A downstream at 5 V for legacy and Type-C USB power. An additional bidirectional switch path provides USB PD power up to 3 A at a maximum of 20 V as either a source (host), sink (device), or source-sink.
The TPS65982 is also an upstream-facing port (UFP), downstream-facing port (DFP), or dual-role port for data. The port data multiplexer passes data to or from the top or bottom D+/D– signal pair at the port for USB 2.0 HS; additionally, the Sideband-Use (SBU) signal pair is used for Alternate Modes. The power management circuitry supports dead battery or no-battery operation using VBUS as a primary power supply when 3.3 V is not available.For all available packages, see the orderable addendum at the end of the data sheet.