The BQ40Z50-R4-DEVICE-FW is a firmware-only release that can be flashed onto any existing BQ40Z50 hardware such as the BQ40Z50-R2, BQ40Z50-R1, or BQ40Z50 device. The firmware incorporates the patented Impedance Track™ technology to create a pack-based solution that provides a rich array of features for gas gauging, protection, and authentication for 1-series, 2-series, 3-series, and 4-series cell Li-ion and Li-polymer battery packs.
Using its integrated high-performance analog peripherals, the BQ40Z50-R4 device measures and maintains an accurate record of available capacity, voltage, current, temperature, and other critical parameters in Li-ion or Li-polymer batteries and reports this information to the system host controller over an SMBus v1.1 compatible interface. SHA-1 authentication, with secure memory for authentication keys, enables identification of genuine battery packs.
The BQ40Z50-R4 device supports Intel® dynamic battery-power technology (Intel® DBPT) version 3.0 by providing the available max power, max current, VLOAD and RHF effective that are used by the system for real-time power management. The BQ40Z50-R4 provides software-based 1st- and 2nd-level safety protection against overvoltage, undervoltage, overcurrent, short-circuit current, overload, and overtemperature conditions, as well as other pack- and cell-related faults. The BQ40Z50-R4 has many additions and improvements from the BQ40Z50-R3 which are detailed in the change list.
- The BQ40Z50-R4 firmware is usable on any previous version of the BQ40Z50 hardware
- Supports Intel® dynamic battery power technology (Intel® DBPT) version 3.0 by providing the available max power, max current, VLOAD and RHF effective
- Additional lifetime logging capabilities with configurable boundaries
- Lifetime timers in seconds
- Individual cell-balancing data logging
- GPIO mapping on the LED pins (if LEDs are not used) to display status or flag conditions
- New features for deep sleep, filters for smoothing, and error code for SMBus protocol violations
- Support for a single TMP468 multi-channel remote temperature sensor
- Optional fast OCV prediction feature
- State of Health (SOH) improvements