Automotive 8-Channel Class-D Amplifier with 2.1 MHz Switching Power Supply Reference Design
TIDA-00733 is a reference design for an eight-channel, Class-D amplifier that is capable of driving 2-Ω loads and an off-battery step-down power supply with 5-V and 3.3-V outputs. The amplifier design provides audio inputs for each audio channel. A high-performance audio analog-to-digital converter (ADC) creates the digital data stream from the audio inputs and creates the digital timing for the system.
- Operating voltage range: 4.5V to 18V
- Withstands transients to 40V
- 2.1 MHz switching frequency for both power supply and Class D amplifiers
- 45 watts per channel into 2 ohms at 10% total harmonic distortion plus noise
- Passes CISPR-25 Class 5 radiated emissions
- 12 audio output channels or less, no analog input
- 12 audio output channels or less, with analog input
- 13 to 18 audio output channels, no analog input
- 13 to 18 audio output channels, with analog input
- 19 or more audio output channels, no analog input
- 19 or more audio output channels, with analog input
- Aftermarket audio amplifier
- Aftermarket head unit
- Digital cockpit processing unit
- Tuner, wireless
- Virtual engine sound system (VESS)
A fully assembled board has been developed for testing and performance validation only, and is not available for sale.
Design files & products
Download ready-to-use system files to speed your design process.
Reference design overview and verified performance test data
Detailed schematic diagram for design layout and components
Complete listing of design components, reference designators, and manufacturers/part numbers
Detailed overview of design layout for component placement
Files used for 3D models or 2D drawings of IC components
Design file that contains information on physical board layer of design PCB
PCB layer plot file used for generating PCB design layout
Includes TI products in the design and potential alternatives.
PCM1865-Q1 — Automotive 110dB 4-Channel Software-Controlled Audio ADC With Universal Front EndData sheet: PDF | HTML
LM53635-Q1 — 3.5-A, 36-V synchronous, 2.1-MHz, automotive step-down DC-DC converterData sheet: PDF | HTML
TLV2462A-Q1 — Automotive-grade, dual, 6-V, 6.4-MHz, 1.5-mV offset, RRIO operational amplifierData sheet: PDF | HTML
LM74610-Q1 — 0.48-V to 42-V, zero IQ automotive ideal diode controllerData sheet: PDF | HTML
MSP430G2332-EP — Enhanced product Mixed Signal MicrocontrollerData sheet: PDF
SN74LVC125A-Q1 — Automotive 4-ch, 1.65-V to 3.6-V buffers with 3-state outputsData sheet: PDF
TAS6424-Q1 — Automotive, 75-W, 2-MHz, 4-ch, 4.5- to 26.4-V digital input Class-D audio amplifierData sheet: PDF | HTML
|*||Design guide||Design for Automotive 8-Ch Class-D Amplifier With 2.1-MHz Switching Power Supply||Oct. 24, 2017|
Related design resources
Support & training
TI E2E™ forums with technical support from TI engineers
If you have questions about quality, packaging or ordering TI products, see TI support.