This reference design details a power management circuit which is capable to source and sink current for driving a thermoelectric cooler (TEC) to control the temperature of sensitive devices, like laser diodes or sensors. It supports a small solution based on a completely integrated buck boost converter requiring only a few external components. With a simple high impedance analog voltage input to control the current flowing through the TEC it can be used as a power solution for a microcontroller based temperature control system.
- Source and sink current capability to drive a TEC
- More than 1.5 A source current possible
- High impedance analog control input
- Less than 180 mm² required for the complete power solution
- Simple design, small BOM
- More than 90% efficiency over a wide operating range