View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- TIDA-00744 Test Results
(PDF 10150 KB)
21 Mar 2016 28 views
TIDA-00744 is a 50-W system-level SMPS design for mid-power automotive infotainment systems.
The design has protections, such as load dump through TVS (ISO pulse testing), as well as reverse voltage (innovative smart diode with very low Iq) protection. Furthermore, all the controllers (boost and dual bucks) are in SYNC for EMI-optimized design.
The design is divided into four major blocks:
- Protection: Reverse battery protection through efficient smart diode and automotive transient protections through TVSs
- EMI filter: A differential filter for conducted EMI suppression
- Preboost: Efficient low-cost nonsynchronous preboost design for 50-W applications. The output is maintained at 10 V and when Vin > Vout (programmed boost out), the output follows the input and bypass operation is achieved (through a conducting PFET when VIN > programmed 10-V boost output).
- Dual buck controller: 2.2-MHz switching for AM band avoidance, as well as small-size solution. Supports two outputs; 5 V at 5 A and 3.3 V at 5 A. The syncout of controller is used to sync boost at F/9 frequency.
- Lossless bypass operation, avoids loss in boost diode
- Wide Vin support for automotive application
- Cycle-by-cycle current limit and optional hiccup-mode overload protection
- Low-cost solution and high-efficiency solution for 50-W application
- Smart diode for highly efficient reverse battery protection