View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- 100-W, High-Res 16-bit Color-Tunable, 0.15% Dimmable RGBW LED Driver Ref Design
(PDF 7908 KB)
06 Jun 2017 1,266 views
This reference design demonstrates the finest range of color control of individual RGBW LED strings with > 16 bits of PWM resolution while supporting the PWM modulation frequencies as high as 30 and 50 kHz. This reference design demonstrates the finest range of individual RGBW LED strings color control and enables development of highly efficient DC-DC LED luminaires capable of wide color gamut generation with trillions of colors while at the same time being imperceptible to high-end cameras and video broadcast equipment.
- Four buck current controllers driving RGBW LED strings at 30V and string current of up to 0.75A (also tested up to 1.25A)
- LED buck current controllers efficiency exceeding 96% at full load with maximum operating frequency up-to 600 kHz
- 100% to 0.2% Contrast setting for PWM dimming method at 30 and 50 kHz
- 100% to 0.15% Contrast setting and better Linearity for Shunt dimming mode at 30 and 50 kHz
- High-resolution PWM feature of C2000™ with 180-ps step enables current adjustment with resolution > 16 bits for both PWM and Shunt FET methods even at 50kHz dimming frequency
- 4Ch, 12bit DAC used for IADJ setting of individual LED strings to enable analog dimming