View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
A low cost, simplified implementation of an IEC 61850 Substation Bay Controller is demonstrated by running the Triangle MicroWorks IEC 61850 stack efficiently on the TI AM335X platform with a Linux target layer definition. Many different substation automation applications can be built on top of the AM335X platform and 61850 stack demonstration.
- A Substation Bay Controller including 1 circuit breaker, 2 disconnectors, and a 61850 Server is implemented on a Beaglebone Card with 61850 Demo Cape
- The current and voltage can be adjusted using potentiometers on the 61850 Demo Cape and the circuit breaker will trip if over-voltage or over-current limits are exceeded
- The Bay Controller includes an interlocking function which does not allow the disconnectors to switch current while the breaker is closed
- The 61850 Client application is run on the TI Starter Kit, implementing a Human Machine Interface (HMI) that sends IEC 61850 operate requests to the Substation Bay Controller
- A separate 61850 Client GUI is available to report status and send operate commands to the Substation Bay Controller
- This sub-system is for demonstration purposes and includes GUI, application, and Design Guide