View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
This reference design demonstrates a motor control solution for spinning three-phase brushed DC or single stepper motor - featuring the C2000™ Piccolo™ microcontroller and the DRV8412 three-phase motor driver. This highly integrated, robust motor control and driver solution speeds development time for brushed and stepper motors running up to 6 A continuous / 12 A peak at 50 V. Typical applications include medical pumps, gate openers, stage lighting, textile manufacturing tools, and industrial or consumer robotics. This reference design is based on the DRV8412 evaluation kit.
- High-efficiency power stage (up to 97%) with low RDS(on) MOSFETs (110 mΩ at TJ = 25°C)
- Operating supply voltage up to 52 V
- Integrated self-protection circuits including undervoltage, over-temperature, overload, and short circuit
- Closed-loop digital control with feedback using the C2000’s on-chip PWM and ADC peripherals
- High precision low-side current sensing using the C2000’s high-performance ADC, Texas Instruments OPA2350 high speed op-amps and Texas Instrument REF3025 high precision voltage reference chip
- Fully-functional evaluation board includes software, hardware design files, quick start graphical interface, and step-by-step documentation