- 5V, 1A, Cost-Effective, Dual-Layer TO-220 LDO Replacement Ref Design, 92.5% Eff
(PDF 5169 KB)
16 Aug 2017 67 views
This reference design demonstrates a small solution size, high-efficiency, and low-EMI DC/DC module for LDO replacement in major home appliances. Replacing LDOs with DC/DC modules drastically improves system efficiency, saving on solution size and BOM cost while also eliminating the need for heat sinks. The module takes up the same amount of space as a TO-220 package and is pin-to-pin compatible with the TO-220 LDO, such as UA7805, enabling quick evaluation and reduced time to market. The TPS561201 power converter enables a higher output current and lower power consumption at full-load, low-load, and standby operation. This module is the same size with a TO-220 package and is pin compatible with the TO-220 LDO, enabling a quick evaluation and time to market.
- 1.1-μA standby current and 423-μA no load current
- Small form factor: pin-compatible with TO-220 and size-compatible with TO-220
- Less than 35°C increase at full load which eliminates the need of heat sink
- Reduces onboard DC/DC design complexity, saves R&D time and efforts for switching power supply EMC design (quicker to market)