18.104.22.168 Setting Design Parameters
For the firmware settings needed for the design requirements, refer to the bq28z610 Technical Reference Manual (SLUUA65).
- To set the 2s1p battery pack, go to data flash Configuration: DA Configuration register's bit 0 (CC0) = 1.
- To set design capacity, set the data flash value to 4400 in the Gas Gauging: Design: Design Capacity register.
- To set device chemistry, go to data flash SBS Configuration: Data: Device Chemistry. The bqStudio software automatically populates the correct chemistry identification. This selection is derived from using the bqCHEM feature in the tools and choosing the option that matches the device chemistry from the list.
- To protect against cell overvoltage, set the data flash value to 4300 in Protections: COV: Standard Temp.
- To protect against cell undervoltage, set the data flash value to 2500 in the Protections: CUV register.
- To set the shutdown voltage to prevent further pack depletion due to low pack voltage, program Power: Shutdown: Shutdown voltage = 2300.
- To protect against large charging currents when the AC adapter is attached, set the data flash value to 6000 in the Protections: OCC: Threshold register.
- To protect against large discharging currents when heavy loads are attached, set the data flash value to –6000 in the Protections: OCD: Threshold register.
- Program a short circuit delay timer and threshold setting to enable the operating the system for large short transient current pulses. These two parameters are under Protections: ASCC: Threshold = 100 for charging current. The discharge current setting is Protections: ASCD:Threshold = –100 mV.
- To prevent the cells from overcharging and adding a second level of safety, there is a register setting that will shut down the device if any of the cells voltage measurement is greater than the Safety Over Voltage setting for greater than the delay time. Set this data flash value to 4500 in Permanent Fail: SOV: Threshold.
- To disable the cell balancing feature, set the data flash value to 0 in Settings: Configuration: Balancing Configuration: bit 0 (CB).
- To enable the internal temperature and the external temperature sensors: Set Settings:Configuration: Temperature Enable: Bit 0 (TSInt) = 1 for the internal sensor; set Bit 1 (TS1) = 1 for the external sensor.
- To prevent charging of the battery pack if the temperature falls below 0°C, set Protections: UTC:Threshold = 0.
- To prevent discharging of the battery pack if the temperature falls below 0°C, set Protections: UTD:Threshold = 0.
- To provide required information to the smart chargers, the gas gauge must operate in BROADCAST mode. To enable this, set the [BCAST] bit in Configuration: SBS Configuration 2: Bit 0 [BCAST] = 1.
Each parameter listed for fault trigger thresholds has a delay timer setting associated for any noise filtering. These values, along with the trigger thresholds for fault detection, may be changed based upon the application requirements using the data flash settings in the appropriate register stated in the bq28z610 Technical Reference Manual (SLUUA65).