10.3 Package Considerations
Use the following recommendations when utilizing machine placement :
- Use 1.06 mm (42 mil) or smaller nozzle size. The pickup area is the top of the inductor, which is 1.6 mm × 2 mm.
- Soft tip pick and place nozzle is recommended.
- Add 0.05 mm to the component thickness so that the device will be released 0.05 mm (2 mil) into the solder paste without putting pressure or splashing the solder paste.
- Slow the pick arm when picking the part from the tape and reel carrier and when depositing the IC on the board.
- If the machine releases the component by force, use minimum force or no more than 3 Newtons.
For manual placement:
- Use a vacuum pick up hand tool with soft tip head.
- If vacuum pick up tool is not available, use non-metal tweezers and hold the part by sides.
- Use minimal force when picking and placing the module on the board.
- Using hot air station provides better temperature control and better controlled air flow than a heat gun.
- Go to the video section at www.ti.com/product/lmz10500 for a quick video on how to solder rework the LMZ10500.