Start your design with the fully programmable FCC, IC, CE, MIC, and SRRC Certified wireless microcontroller (MCU) module with built-in Wi-Fi connectivity. Created for the IoT, the SimpleLink™ CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx module family from Texas Instruments™ is a wireless module that integrates two physically separated on-chip MCUs.
- An application processor—Arm® Cortex®-M4 MCU with a user-dedicated 256KB of RAM, with 1MB of XIP Flash available on the CC3220SF variant.
- A network processor MCU to run all Wi-Fi® and Internet logical layers. This ROM-based subsystem includes an 802.11b/g/n radio, baseband, and MAC with a powerful crypto engine for fast, secure internet connections with 256-bit encryption.
The CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx wireless MCU family is a part of the second generation of the Internet-on-a chip™ family of solutions from TI. This generation introduces new features and capabilities that further simplify the connectivity of things to the internet. The new capabilities include:
- Enhanced Wi-Fi provisioning
- Optimized low-power management
- Enhanced file-system security
- Wi-Fi AP connection with up to four stations
- More concurrently opened BSD sockets—up to 16 BSD sockets (6 are secure HTTPS support)
- HTTPS support
- RESTful API support
- Asymmetric keys crypto library
The CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx wireless MCU family supports the following modes: station, AP, and Wi-Fi Direct®. The CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx modules also supports WPA2 personal and enterprise security. This subsystem includes embedded TCP/IP and TLS/SSL stacks, HTTP server, and multiple Internet protocols. The module supports a variety of Wi-Fi provisioning methods, including HTTP based on AP mode, SmartConfig™ technology, and WPS2.0.
The power-management subsystem includes integrated DC/DC converters that support a wide range of supply voltages. This subsystem enables low-power consumption modes for extended battery life, such as low-power deep sleep, hibernate with RTC (consuming only 5 µA), and shutdown mode (consuming only
The module includes a wide variety of peripherals, including a fast parallel camera interface, I2S, SD, UART, SPI, I2C, and a 4-channel ADC.
The SimpleLink CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx module family come in four different module variants: CC3220MODS, CC3220MODSF, CC3220MODA, and CC3220MODASF.
- The CC3220MODS and CC3220MODAS modules include 256KB on application-dedicated embedded RAM for code and data. In addition, the CC3220MODAS includes an integral antenna.
- The CC3220MODSF and CC3220MODASF modules include application-dedicated 1MB of Serial Flash and 256KB of RAM for code and data. In addition, the CC3220MODASF includes an integral antenna.
The four modules integrate the 40-MHz crystal, 32.768-kHz RTC clock, 32-Mb SPI serial Flash, RF filter, and passive components. The modules also have additional security features, such as encrypted and authenticated file systems, user IP encryption and authentication, secured boot (authentication and integrity validation of the application image at Flash boot time), and more.
The CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx devices are a part of the SimpleLink™ MCU platform, which consists of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth® low energy, Sub-1 GHz, and host MCUs. All share a common, easy-to-use development environment with a single core software development kit (SDK) and rich tool set. A one-time integration of the SimpleLink platform lets you add any combination of devices from the portfolio into your design. The ultimate goal of the SimpleLink platform is to achieve 100 percent code reuse when your design requirements change.
The CC3220MODx and CC3220MODAx module family is a complete platform solution including software, sample applications, tools, user and programming guides, reference designs, and the E2E™ online community. The module family is also part of the SimpleLink™ MCU portfolio and supports the SimpleLink™ developers ecosystem. For more information, visit www.ti.com/simplelink.