The TIDA-00771 is a 20 A RMS drive for a three phase brushless DC (BLDC) motor in power tools operating from a 3-cell Li-ion battery with a voltage range of 5 V to 12.6 V. This design is a 45 x 50 mm compact drive implementing sensor-based trapezoidal control. The design uses a discrete, compact MOSFET-based three-phase inverter delivering 20 A RMS continuous (70 A peak for 1 second) winding current, without any external cooling or heat sink. The slew rate control and charge pump of the gate drive ensures maximum inverter efficiency (>97% at 10.8V DC) from 5 V to 12.6 V and optimum EMI performance. The cycle-by-cycle overcurrent protection feature protects the power stage from large stall currents and the board can work up to 55°C ambient. The small form factor enables placement of board close to the battery pack, high efficiency brings more battery duration and the 70 A peak current capability provides high momentary peak torque in power tools.
- Operates at Voltage Ranging from 5-V to 12.6-V (3-cell Li-ion Battery) with up to 20-ARMS Continuous (70A Peak for 1 Second) Winding Current Without Heat Sink or Airflow
- Small PCB Form Factor of 45mm x 50mm
- Optimum Inverter Efficiency (>97% at 10.8 V) from 5 V to 12.6 V and EMI Performance Using the Slew Rate Control and Charge Pump Feature of the Gate Driver
- Cycle–by-Cycle Overcurrent Protection with <1us Response Time and Short Circuit Latch Protection by VDS Sensing
- Shoot-through, Under Voltage, Over Temperature and Blocked Rotor Protection