This reference design drives 8 seven-segment digits with brightness control using a low-cost MSP430 and two DRV8860 octal low-side drivers. The display module gains benefits from DRV8860 on wide-supply range, high-current capability, PWM brightness control, serial daisy-chain connection and expandable outputs for hundreds of LEDs. AThis reference design and six demo display patterns are provided with the on-board MCU program along with the integrated protection from short-circuit, under voltage, and over-temperature.
- Serial interface minimizes the number of signals
- Drives eight characters with only two DRV8860 devices
- Small PCB footprint
- Extendable output current capability for super bright LEDs
- Internal eight-level PWM duty for brightness control via serial interface
- Six demo display patterns provided with the on-board MCU