Human machine interface (HMI) is an essential part of process plants since it is one of the major ways through which humans and machines interact. This reference design offers an HMI solution for harsh and hazardous area applications. In process plants, operators need to interact with an explosion-proof display/controller which is encapsulated in a screw-on metallic enclosure with a thick glass window for local read-out and programming functions.
TIDA-00343 uses MSP430™ microcontrollers (MCU) with CapTIvate™ technology so the operator will be able to interact with the controller without the need of opening the enclosure, which saves time by avoiding work permit or plant shutdown.
- Four-robust buttons option implemented
- Variable airgap between buttons and glass (1 mm to 2 mm)
- Finger detection through 10-mm thick glass
- Work with gloves and in harsh environment (water, oil, dust and more)
- Temperature range: -40°C to 85°C
- Low power(~10-Hz scan rate): 240-µA average