High Precision Temperature Measurement for Heat and Cold Meters Reference Design
This reference design implements a high-precision differential temperature measurement (DTM) subsystem using a 24-bit, low-power, delta-sigma ADC. Heat and cold meter DTM subsystems typically use two 2- or 4-wire Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTD) such as PT100, PT500, or PT1000 and can achieve a differential temperature measurement accuracy of 10 mK over a water temperature range of 3°C to 180°C. TIDA-01526 implements a single chip, cost-effective DTM system that can be combined with TI's ultra-sonic or rotation detection flow measurement subsystems to provide a full heat or cold meter solution.
- Meets EN1434 requirements for RTD sensor pair temperature measurement subsystems in heat and cold meters and heat calculators
- Max. 60 mK absolute temperature deviation from 0 to 150°C for 2- or 4-wire RTDs meets ±100 mK limit (EN1434-5:2014)
- Meets max. ±700 mK error limit for each PT sensor at 3 typical temperature measurements points, e.g. at 10°C, 30°C and 50°C (EN1434-5:2014)
- ADC122x04 achieves ultra-low power consumption by power-cycling with 50-μs start-up time and programmable current source, gain, and output data rates
- Differential temperature measurement of two RTDs in series with 0.01°C resolution
- 40-pin BoosterPack form factor (BoosterPack 20-pin backwards compatible)
A fully assembled board has been developed for testing and performance validation only, and is not available for sale.
Design files & products
Download ready-to-use system files to speed your design process.
Reference design overview and verified performance test data
Detailed schematic diagram for design layout and components
Complete listing of design components, reference designators, and manufacturers/part numbers
Detailed overview of design layout for component placement
Files used for 3D models or 2D drawings of IC components
Design file that contains information on physical board layer of design PCB
PCB layer plot file used for generating PCB design layout
Includes TI products in the design and potential alternatives.
|*||Design guide||High-Precision Temperature Measurement for Heat and Cold Meters Reference Design||Nov. 28, 2017|
|Technical article||Water-flow metering with an ADC approach||Nov. 30, 2017|
|Technical article||Using ultrasonic technology for flow measurement||Sep. 26, 2017|
Related design resources
DRIVER OR LIBRARY
Support & training
TI E2E™ forums with technical support from TI engineers
If you have questions about quality, packaging or ordering TI products, see TI support.