Maximum Power Point Tracking Algorithm for Low Power Solar Battery Charging Reference Design
This reference design is a software implementation of a basic maximum power point tracking algorithm for a single-cell battery charging system using a solar panel input. This design removes the requirement for extra circuitry and complex firmware by using integrated features of the charger to achieve maximized charging current all through a simple I²C-based control scheme.
- Integrated 7-bit ADC to monitor input voltage, battery voltage, and charge current
- Adjustable input voltage limit with 100-mV resolution
- High charge efficiency with 93% at 2A and 91% at 3A
- Wide input voltage operating range from 3.9V to 14V
- Integrated reverse blocking FET for solar input protection
- Input high-impedance mode for open circuit voltage measurement
A fully assembled board has been developed for testing and performance validation only, and is not available for sale.
Design files & products
Download ready-to-use system files to speed your design process.
Reference design overview and verified performance test data
Detailed schematic diagram for design layout and components
Includes TI products in the design and potential alternatives.
|*||Design guide||Maximum Power Point Tracking Algorithm for Solar Battery Charging Ref Design||Aug. 28, 2017|
Related design resources
IDE, CONFIGURATION, COMPILER OR DEBUGGER
Support & training
TI E2E™ forums with technical support from TI engineers
If you have questions about quality, packaging or ordering TI products, see TI support.