The goal of this reference design is to show the total system performance when using the switched-cap fast charge topology in a smart phone application. The system includes using a smart wall adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (PD) Programmable Power Supply (PPS) specifications to reduce losses over the charging cable as well as reduce losses and the temperature rise in the smart phone. The bq25970 is the first switched-capacitor charger from TI that is capable of delivering up to 8A of charge current to a battery.
- High efficiency charging 96.6% at 6A
- Full system example for USB PD PPS voltage and current control
- Software flow chart for phone and wall adapter
- bq25890 for precharge, taper charge and termination
- bq25970 for 6A charging with 3A cable current
- TUSB422 USB PD controller for communication with smart wall adapter