Three main topology components dominate flyback-converter performance: the primary switch, secondary rectifier and transformer. This training series focuses on the importance of transformer design, since this single component has a profound impact on converter efficiency and electromagnetic interference (EMI). This training series discusses the various conflicting design requirements, the often-neglected subtleties of core loss and snubber clamp level, and ways to improve transformer performance.
Why should I take this training?
- The transformer design of an isolated flyback has a large influence on the overall performance of the supply
- Optimizing materials and winding structure can help improve efficiency and EMI performance
What will I learn?
- Basics of the flyback transformer
- Review of flyback transformer losses
- Considerations for mitigating EMI by optimizing transformer design