View the Important Notice for TI Designs covering authorized use, intellectual property matters and disclaimers.
- Interface to a Sin/Cos Position Encoder With Sitara AM437x Design Guide (Rev. A)
(PDF 6385 KB)
14 Sep 2015 1,044 views
The TIDA-00178 reference design is an EMC compliant industrial interface to Sin/Cos position encoders. Applications include industrial drives, which require accurate speed and position control.
The design utilizes a 16-bit dual sample ADC with drop-in compatible 14- or 12-bit versions available, allowing for optimization of performance and cost. TIDA-00178 provides a direct connection to Sitara AM437x using SPI and QEP. For quick evaluation it features a 60-pin connector which directly fits the AM437x IDK. An example firmware for Sitara AM437x IDK is provided, which outputs the measured angle from the Sin/Cos encoder with up to 28-bit resolution through the Sitara’s USB virtual COM port.
- EMC Compliant Industrial Interface Design for Sin/Cos Encoders with 1-Vpp Differential Output at 2.5-V Offset, Input Frequencies up to 500-kHz
- High-Resolution Interpolated Position, up to 28-bits Resolution, Cable Length Tested up to 70m
- Fully Differential Analog Signal Chain for High Common Mode Noise Immunity with Dual 16-bit ADC with Drop-in Compatible 14- or 12-bit ADC Pending Desired Resolution
- Easy to Connect to Sitara AM437x with SPI and QEP Interface. Connects directly to AM437x IDK 60-Pin Header
- Example Firmware for Sitara AM437x with High-Resolution Angle Calculated at 32-kHz and Angle Data Send via USB virtual COM Port for Easy Performance Evaluation
- Designed for IEC61000-4-2,4-4 and 4-5 (ESD, EFT and Surge EMC Immunity Requirements)