C2000™ real-time control MCUs
Optimized for processing, sensing, and actuation to improve closed loop performance
C2000 real-time controllers are a portfolio of high-performance microcontrollers that are purpose-built to control power electronics and provide advanced digital signal processing in industrial and automotive applications. In over 20 years at the forefront of the analog to digital control revolution, C2000 MCUs have evolved to provide precision sensing, powerful processing, and premium actuation to enable engineers to create the world’s most efficient power control systems.
The C2000 microcontroller family features over twenty distinct series with a wide range of performance and peripheral options.
Designed for the most challenging real-time control applications requiring premium sensing, the fastest possible computations, and highest resolution system actuation to enable you to develop the most efficient product.
We prove the value of our microcontrollers in real-time control and accelerate your product development by providing software development kits, libraries, and tools along with application EVMs and reference designs.
Getting to know C2000 real-time control MCUs
Sense feedback, process the response and actuate control systems with minimal latency.
C2000 real-time control MCUs use a proprietary 32-bit core - the C28x CPU - offering single-cycle operations and up to 300 MIPS coupled with a highly-optimized peripheral and interrupt management bus. With powerful, integrated peripherals, these real-time, single-chip control solutions are designed for a variety of control applications.
More performance per MHz enabled by an instruction set optimized for control math that is unlike the average MCU.
The C28x math-optimized core gives designers the flexibility to improve system efficiency and system reliability. As a cross between a microcontroller and a digital signal processor, C2000 real-time controllers bring the execution speed of a DSP with the code density and ease of use of a microcontroller.
Enhanced Instruction Set
The C28x CPU instruction set enables the realization of complex real-time control systems using an instruction set optimized for minimum cycles and deterministic execution. The enhanced instructions are supported by the following functional units:
- Floating Point Unit (FPU): Optimized IEEE 32-bit and 64-bit floating-point instructions supporting fast multiplication, addition, subtraction, saturation and float <-> integer conversion operations.
- Trigonometric Non-Linear PID Math Unit (TMU): Optimized IEEE 32-bit floating-point instructions supporting fast SIN, COS, ATAN, ATAN2, DIV, SQRT, LOG, EXP operations.
- Fast Division Unit (FDIV): Optimized IEEE 32-bit floating-point and integer instructions supporting fast 32-bit and 64-bit division for several combination of data types.
Parallel CPU Processing
In addition to the C28x-CPU, an additional CPU (CLA-CPU) running in parallel enables the off-loading of control processing tasks. The Control Law Accelerator (CLA-CPU) can efficiently execute control math in 32-bit Floating-Point format. The CLA-CPU can service interrupts and access peripheral resources (such as ADC and PWM) independently from the C28x-CPU. In some systems there could be multiple C28x-CPUs + CLA-CPUs to run multiple tasks in parallel enhancing the overall system performance.
Embedded real-time controllers need purpose-built peripherals to deliver integrated system-on-chip solutions for the most demanding closed-loop control systems. Sensing peripherals with the proper speed, accuracy, and resolution that coordinate with actuation (timing) peripherals - which apply the processed calculation to the control system – are required, along with industry standard communication peripherals to implement connected and intelligent applications.
Operate efficiently, increase performance, and implement advanced control techniques.
- Micro-edge positioning technology creates precise PWM waveforms to increase system performance
- Technology-packed PWM modules support advanced timing and generation techniques to control complex power stages
- PWM trip logic provides reactive and asynchronous system protection with included high-performance analog sensing circuitry
- High-resolution PWM duty cycle
- High-resolution PWM period
- High-resolution PWM phase control
- High-resolution PWM dead-band
- Advanced time synchronization between PWMs
- Advanced inter-PWM and ADC synchronization
- Variety of timer count modes
- Customizable triggering
- External DACs for reference bias waveform generation
- Directly trip PWMs without CPU intervention, nor clocking
- Supports PWM shutdown or cycle-by-cycle PWM modification
- Peak current mode control support
Premium integrated analog
The C2000 platform offers a variety of analog peripherals, such as ADC, DAC, programmable gain amplifiers, comparators, sigma-delta filters, and high-resolution capture for the purpose of increasing fidelity of control system inputs while reducing system costs.
- Up to 12.5 mega-samples-per-second (MSPS) conversion rates
- 12-bit to 16-bit sampling resolutions
- Sigma-delta filter modules for isolated current sensing or resolver position decoding
- PGAs for easy signal conditioning
- Comparator tied directly to PWM for asynchronous PWM trip
- High speed, 30ns comparator outputs
- High-resolution digital signal capture with precise 150ps resolution
- High-performance motor speed and position interfacing
Configurable Logic Block (CLB)
The CLB peripheral allows you to augment existing C2000 peripherals and implement custom logic. This can enable you to integrate critical functions into a single C2000 MCU and reduce in size or completely eliminate your FPGA, CPLD, or external logic components.
Things that can be designed with the CLB:
- Advanced PWM protection schemes for reliability and safety
- Complex PWM generation, burst mode PWM, and periodic blanking
- Complex signal capture and sequence detection
- Logic based filters and signal conditioning
- Task profiling and time threshold monitoring
- Highly customized general purpose outputs
- Pulse train outputs
- Absolute encoder interfaces
C2000 real-time control MCUs come with a variety of connectivity options to keep applications in sync with serial interfaces including I2C, SPI, UART and McBSP, protocols such as CAN and LIN and standards such as USB and FSI.
Expansive product portfolio built for real-time control
C2000 real-time control MCU families address wide-ranging real-time control applications to sense feedback, process a control response, and actuate the system with minimal latency.
- Price points from entry level to high-end performance
- Application-tuned feature-sets
- Integrated flash memory sizes from 16 KB to 1.5 MB
- Temperature ranges from –40°C to 125°C and AEC-Q100 qualification
- Security enablers including software IP protection and debug security
- Wide-array of package options
High performance portfolio
Entry to middle performance portfolio
C2000 MCU functional safety
Optimized for processing, sensing and actuation to improve closed loop performance for functional safety compliant systems
Select C2000 real-time controllers are designed using a rigorous hardware development process and are equipped with built-in safety mechanisms to help detect and prevent or, at a minimum, detect and reduce the impact of dangerous failures resulting from systematic faults or random hardware faults. See the overall TI functional safety story for more information.
Functional safety compliant products are developed using an ISO 26262/IEC 61508 compliant HW development process that is independently assessed & certified to meet ASIL D/SIL 3 systematic capability
Detect and prevent random hardware faults
Take advantage of our customizable FMEDA and over 300 safety mechanisms described in our functional safety manuals to meet applicable random HW capability at a component level
Simplify system safety certification
Streamline your system safety certification & expedite time to market by leveraging our safety documentation, safety diagnostics library, compiler qualification kits and third party tools
C2000 MCU Functional Safety compliant solutions
Developed following the enhanced rigor of our functional safety-compliant (TUV SUD certified) hardware development process. These products are targeted towards automotive and industrial applications which require compliance to the ISO 26262 and IEC 61508 standards respectively.
C2000 MCU Functional Safety quality managed products
Developed in compliance with our ISO-9001/IATF-16949 compliant hardware development process that features many elements necessary to manage and mitigate systematic faults. Nominally, these products support compliance to the IEC 60730-1, UL 1998 and IEC 60335-1 standards, and are mainly targeted towards white goods, household goods and appliances. Additionally, the documentation and reports for these products can be used to assist with compliance to a wide-range of standards for your end applications including automotive and industrial systems (e.g ISO 26262, IEC 61508).
|Product||Developed according to QRAS AP00210 process for Systematic Capability||Component level Random Hardware Capability|
|TMS320F2837xD||ASIL B/SIL 2|
|TMS320F2837xS||ASIL B/SIL 2|
|TMS320F2807x||ASIL B/SIL 2|