The TIDA-00779 is a 3.5-kw, cost competitive power factor regulator converter designed for room air-conditioner and other major appliances. This reference design is a continuous-conduction-mode (CCM) boost converter implemented using TI’s UCC28180 PFC controller provided with all of the necessary built-in protections. The hardware is designed and tested to pass surge, and EFT testing as per the IEC61000 requirements for household appliances.
- High efficiency of > 98% over entire operating voltage range and thus get smaller heat sink
- Wide full load operating input range of 190 VAC to 270 VAC
- High power factor > 0.99 and less than 5% THD from medium-to-full load (50-100%)
- Up to 3.5 kw high power output to cover most of single phase input PFC application
- 8-Pin PFC solution (No AC line sensing Needed) enable a very simply design
- Reduced current sense threshold minimizes power dissipation
- High power density for smaller dimension