This reference design implements safe brake control functionality in servo drives as per IEC EN 61800-5-2 by providing two channel output signals to control an external holding brake. The holding brake will be latched when the power supply is cut off and released when voltage is applied to the coil. This is accomplished by enabling/disabling the smart electronic load switches that supply power to the coil. This reference design also includes diagnostic features for detecting various faults, ensuring safe operation. TIDA-01600 uses the C2000TM LaunchpadTM development kit to generate the brake control signals and to perform the diagnostics functionality.
- Compact, smart, holding-brake controller solution
- Can control 24V rated holding brake with current up to 2A
- Dual-switch control provides redundancy to open brake-coil circuit
- Galvanic isolation up to 2500-VRMS between holding-brake circuit and microcontroller
- Hardware-based, pulse width modulation (PWM), current-control loops help to maintain constant hold current, irrespective of variation at input voltage
- Protection against overvoltage, undervoltage, reverse polarity, and overcurrent