TIDA-00443 is a 900W power factor regulator converter designed for inverter fed BLDC/PMSM motor based appliances. This reference design is a continuous conduction mode boost converter implemented using UCC28180 PFC controller and with all the necessary protections built-in. The design supports a wide AC input range from 195 VAC to 270 VAC and offers very high efficiency of >97%, over wide operating loads from 50% to 100%.
The boost follower configuration utilized in TIDA-00443 aids in reducing switching losses in the PFC regulator as well as in downstream inverter/converter. This reference design delivers an efficiency of ~98%, in boost follower configuration. In comparison to fixed voltage operation, this boost follower configuration saves an additional power of 5.2 W at 230 VAC and full load.
TIDA-00443 has been designed to meet the IEC-61000-2-3 iTHD limits of both Class A and Class D norms. In addition the design improves overall system performance with lower bus ripple, lower bus capacitance, lower RMS currents, and built-in front end protections. Hardware is designed and tested to pass conducted emissions, surge, and EFT as per EN55014 requirements for household appliances.
- Wide operating input range of 195 VAC to 270 VAC
- Designed to drive wide range of inverter fed motors and downstream DC/DC converters up to 900W.
- High power factor > 0.99 and less than 5% THD from medium-to-full load (50-100%). Meets Current THD regulations as per IEC 61000-3-2 Class A and Class D at both 10% and 100% load.
- High efficiency of > 97% at full load over entire operating voltage range and thus eliminates need for external cooling up to 55oC ambient operation.
- Built-in Boost follower output option provides improved efficiency (~98%). It aids in efficiency improvement of down-stream inverter and in effective reduction of DC Bus capacitance as compared to conventional solution with variable AC input.
- Meets the requirements of Conducted Emissions standard – EN55011 class A, EFT norm IEC6000-4-4, and Surge norm IEC61000-4-5.