188.8.131.52 ESD Protection System Design Consideration
ESD protection system design consideration is covered in Section 184.108.40.206 of this document. The following are additional considerations for ESD protection in a system.
- Metallic shielding for both ESD and EMI
- Chassis GND isolation from the board GND
- Air gap designed on board to absorb ESD energy
- Clamping diodes to absorb ESD energy
- Capacitors to divert ESD energy
- The use of external ESD components on the DP/DM lines may affect signal quality and are not recommended.