Advancing real-time control systems
Build smaller, more reliable real-time control systems with our extensive portfolio of sensing, processing, control and communication technologies
Pack more performance and power into every closed-loop system
What is real-time control and why do you need it?
Every day, people interact with systems that assess their surroundings and act accordingly; where those systems are implementing what’s known as “real-time control.” In this article, we explain the functional blocks of a real-time control system and provide an example of a robotics application.
Why real-time control matters
Enable just in time system control without sacrificing precision and accuracy.
Pack more power into smaller spaces to enhance system functionality.
Achieve higher motor and actuator performance and power output at a lower cost.
Create safer systems through high system reliability and accuracy.
Discover featured applications
Reach the highest energy class IES2 per IEC 61800-9 and 1us lowest latency current loops with our real-time control technology.
Enable low-latency, low-jitter and high-precision motor position and speed control.
- MCUs with integrated real-time control peripherals and accelerators and programmable PRU-ICSS and configurable logic blocks enable less than 1us current control loop latency and low jitter communication.
- Highest precision, isolated data converters enable current and voltage sensing at better than 0.1% accuracy over a wide operating temperature range.
- Motor drivers enable real time monitoring of speed, motor current, rotor angle, DC bus voltage/current; and control of speed and torque of BLDC motors.
Achieve greater than 99% efficiency at 5kW with real-time control
Increasing power levels and 80Plus Titanium specifications in data center CPUs, open center compute projects and server rack PSUs are driving higher efficiency and power density needs. With our real-time control MCUs and GaN technology in a totem-pole PFC topology, reach >99% energy efficiency at 5kW while operating at up to 800kHz frequency.
Achieve safe and precise multi-axis motion control with best-in-class, real-time communication and control.
As robots automate factories, automotive, medical, shipping warehouses and agriculture, systems require scalability to save cost, integrated safety and fast response times. Our broad portfolio of microcontrollers and processors enable scalable architectures of different payloads and multi-axis motor and motion control paramount to time-critical industrial applications.
Gain high power density and efficiency through our precise, real-time control when digitally converting power from AC to DC and DC to DC.
Design highly-efficient and power dense digital power stages with real-time controllers:
- Scalable number of pulse width modulation (PWM) and memory sizes to support different topologies.
- 150ps high resolution PWMs that unlock GaN/SiC potential.
- Configurable logic block (CLB) for simplified protection scheme.
Achieve high-efficiency motor control and power conversion to enable lower operating costs, lower environmental impact and improved comfort levels in appliances.
Design closed loop motor control algorithms with real-time motor control to provide the highest efficiency and best acoustic performance, which is critical for home appliances:
- C2000 real-time microcontrollers maximize motor and power efficiency, system cost and improve reliability.
- Integrated brushless-DC (BLDC) driver with sensorless FOC control enables quiet and efficient motor operations.