Inductive Sensing 32-Position Encoder Knob Reference Design using the LDC1312/LDC1314
An inductive sensing based incremental encoder knob design can provide a robust and low-cost interface for control inputs. It can reliably operate in environments which have dirt, moisture, or oil which would pose issues for alternate sensing technologies. This solution requires no magnets.
- High reliability, contactless, encoder implementation suitable for dirty, wet, and other challenging environments
- Scalable to support multiples of 4 positions/rotation
- Minimum MCU requirements
- No permanent magnets required; operates effectively even with magnetic or electrical environmental interference
- Absolute inductive encoder
- Baby warmers & incubators
- Blood pressure monitor
- CPAP machine
- Dental chairs
- Guitar amplifier & other music instrument amplifier
- Laser Stereolithography
- Massage chairs
- Motorized electronic wheel chair
- Operation tables
- Pachinko machine
- Professional audio amplifier (rack mount)
- Professional speaker systems
- Wearable fitness & activity monitor
A fully assembled board has been developed for testing and performance validation only, and is not available for sale.
Design files & products
Download ready-to-use system files to speed your design process.
Reference design overview and verified performance test data
Detailed schematic diagram for design layout and components
Complete listing of design components, reference designators, and manufacturers/part numbers
Detailed overview of design layout for component placement
Files used for 3D models or 2D drawings of IC components
Design file that contains information on physical board layer of design PCB
PCB layer plot file used for generating PCB design layout
Includes TI products in the design and potential alternatives.
CD74HC4511 — High Speed CMOS Logic BCD-to-7 Segment Latch/Decoder/DriverData sheet: PDF | HTML
MSP430F5528 — 25 MHz MCU with 128KB Flash, 8KB SRAM, 12-bit ADC, comparator, DMA, UART/SPI/I2C, USB, HW multiplierData sheet: PDF | HTML
|*||Design guide||LDC1312 Incremental Encoder Knob Design Guide||Jan. 28, 2016|
|Application note||Incremental Rotary Encoders (Rev. B)||PDF | HTML||Dec. 02, 2021|
|More literature||TIDA-00615 Firmware||Mar. 02, 2016|
Related design resources
Support & training
TI E2E™ forums with technical support from TI engineers
If you have questions about quality, packaging or ordering TI products, see TI support.