48V 3-Phase Inverter with Shunt-based In-line Motor Phase Current Sensing Reference Design
The TIDA-00913 reference design realizes a 48V/10A 3-phase GaN inverter with precision in-line shunt-based phase current sensing for accurate control of precision drives such as servo drives. One of the largest challenges with in-line shunt-based phase current sensing is the high common-mode voltage transients during PWM switching. The INA240 bi-directional current-sense amplifier overcomes this problem using enhanced PWM rejection. The reference design provides an output voltage from 0 to 3.3V, scaled to ±16.5A with 1.65V mid voltage for high phase-current accuracy over the entire temperature range. The TIDA-00913 offers a TI BoosterPack compatible interface to connect to a C2000 MCU LaunchPad™ development kit for easy performance evaluation.
- Wide input voltage range 12V to 60V 3-phase GaN inverter with 7Arms output current per phase and non-isolated phase current sensing.
- Precision in-line phase current sensing with 5mΩ shunt, ±16.5A full scale range and ±10A nominal range.
- High accuracy phase current sensing over the temperature range from -25°C to 85°C. Uncalibrated accuracy <±0.5%; calibrated accuracy <±0.1%.
- System cost reduction using a non-isolated current sense amplifier INA240 with superior AC common mode rejection operating up to PWM switching frequencies up to 100kHz.
- Reduced BOM and easy layout due to the INA240 bi-directional, zero-drift current sense amplifier that directly interfaces to a 3.3V ADC.
- TI BoosterPack compatible interface with 3.3V I/O for easy performance evaluation with a C2000 MCU LaunchPad™ development kit.
A fully assembled board has been developed for testing and performance validation only, and is not available for sale.
Design files & products
Download ready-to-use system files to speed your design process.
Reference design overview and verified performance test data
Detailed schematic diagram for design layout and components
Complete listing of design components, reference designators, and manufacturers/part numbers
Detailed overview of design layout for component placement
Files used for 3D models or 2D drawings of IC components
Design file that contains information on physical board layer of design PCB
PCB layer plot file used for generating PCB design layout
Includes TI products in the design and potential alternatives.
SN74AVC8T245 — 8-Bit Dual-Supply Bus Transceiver with Configurable Voltage-Level Shifting and 3-State OutputsData sheet: PDF | HTML
|*||Design guide||48V 3Phase Inverter w/ Shunt-Based In-Line Motor Phase Current Sense Ref Design (Rev. A)||Apr. 07, 2017|
|Selection guide||Current Sense Amplifiers (Rev. E)||Sep. 20, 2021|
|White paper||Machine Learning Powers Autonomous Industrial Systems (Rev. A)||Jun. 17, 2020|
|Technical article||GaN reliability standards reach milestone||Sep. 18, 2017|
|White paper||Enabling robots to achieve new levels of factory automation||Mar. 21, 2017|
|Technical article||Five benefits of enhanced PWM rejection for in-line motor control||Nov. 08, 2016|
|Technical article||What’s next for Industry 4.0? The best new technologies shaping the future of smart factories||Nov. 07, 2016|
Related design resources
Support & training
TI E2E™ forums with technical support from TI engineers
If you have questions about quality, packaging or ordering TI products, see TI support.