This reference design demonstrates a small form-factor Controller Access Network (CAN)-to-Ethernet converter using the TM4C129XNCZAD 32-bit ARM® Cortex™-M4F MCU. Supporting 10/100 Base-T compliant with IEEE 802.3 standard, this reference design is useful for industrial drives monitoring and control, as well as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. The same hardware can be used as a CAN-to-Ethernet gateway or bridge with simple changes in the firmware. The gateway application is useful for monitoring remote CAN networks over Ethernet, while the bridge application is useful for coupling CAN networks via the the internet or local area netowork (LAN).
- Fully integrated 10/100 Ethernet MAC and PHY with Advanced IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol (PTP) hardware and both Media Independent Interface (MII) and Reduced MII (RMII) support provides a compact Ethernet solution.
- Onboard non-isolated Controller Area Network (CAN) and RS-485 PHYs provides easy interface to a variaety of fieldbus solutions. Provisional connection allows High Efficiency Isolated CAN & Profibus Interface.
- JTAG connector for easy programming
- Expansion connectors provide access to communication, Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADCs), and General Purpose Input and Output (GPIO) interfaces for maximum flexibility
- 50-pin SDCC connector provided for easy interface to the MII and RMII Ethernet PHY for use with other controllers