C2000™ 32-bit microcontrollers
Optimized for processing, sensing, and actuation to improve closed loop performance
Getting to know C2000 real-time control MCUs
Real-time control in its DNA.
C2000 Real-time Control MCUs are C28x-based 32-bit microcontrollers with a high-performance core and application-tuned peripherals designed for real-time control applications. Its math-optimized core gives designers the means to improve system efficiency, reliability and flexibility. Powerful integrated peripherals make these real-time devices the perfect single-chip control solution for the variety of applications.
Built for real-time control
Sense feedback, process the response, and actuate control systems with minimal latency.
- Rapid and accurate sensing maximizes system responsiveness and performance
- Specialized processing minimizes latency of complex closed loop control algorithms
- Precise, configurable actuation provides flexibility to implement advanced control schemes with utmost performance
- Perfect for closed loop control applications such as motor control, digital power supplies, industrial drives, solar inverters, and more
More performance per MHz and unique acceleration let you do more than the average MCU
- .32-bit C28x™ DSP processes complex control theory operations in single cycles, providing more performance per MHz than typical MCUs
- Single precision floating point unit (FPU) standard on Delfino devices, available on select
- CLA real-time coprocessor doubles processing capacity. Independently control multiple motors, power stages, and more
- Accelerators reduce latency of control and signal processing algorithms, such as trigonometric math, FFTs, and complex math
DSP performance in microcontroller
The C2000 real-time control MCU uses a central 32-bit CPU core, called C28x, coupled with a highly-optimized peripheral and interrupt management bus. As a cross between a general microcontroller and a digital signal processor, the C28x core brings the code density and execution speed of a DSP with the ease of use and accessibility of a microcontroller.
- TMS320C28x Optimizing C/C++ Compiler v17.9.0.STS User's Guide (Rev. O) (PDF, 1.06MB)
- TMS320C28x Assembly Language Tools v17.9.0.STS User's Guide (Rev. O) (PDF, 3.12MB)
- TMS320C28x DSP CPU and Instruction Set (Rev. F) (HTM, 0.01MB)
- TMS320C28x Instruction Set Simulator Technical Overview (Rev. A) (PDF, 0.06MB)
- TMS320C28x DSP/BIOS 5.x Application Programming Interface (API) Reference Guide (Rev. L) (HTM, 0.01MB)
CLA real-time control accelerator
A new approach to system modularity, safety, and performance.
The CLA is a C-programmable, independent, 32-bit floating-point math accelerator based on the C28x core. It has independent access to control peripherals, which enables execution of completely parallel control loops, independent of the main C28x core. The CLA gives you the benefits of parallel processing without the cost and complexity of an additional processor.
- Accelerators: Enhancing the Capabilities of the C2000 MCU Family Technical Brief (Rev. A) (PDF, 0.15MB)
- TMS320F2837xS Delfino Microcontrollers Technical Reference Manual (Rev. E) (PDF, 12.4MB)
- TMS320F28004x Piccolo Microcontrollers Technical Reference Manual (PDF, 11.12MB)
- TMS320x2806x Piccolo Technical Reference Manual (Rev. G) (PDF, 6.49MB)
- TMS320x2803x Piccolo Control Law Accelerator (CLA) Reference Guide (Rev. B) (PDF, 0.47MB)
- Piccolo Control Law Accelerator: A world of possibilities (Rev. A) (PDF, 0.49MB)
Operate efficiently, increase performance, and implement advanced control techniques.
- Micro Edge Positioning technology creates precise PWM waveforms to increase system performance
- Technology-packed PWM modules support advanced timing and generation techniques to control complex power stages
- PWM trip logic provides reactive and asynchronous system protection with included high performance analog sensing circuitry
PWM signal generators
The most flexible, configurable, and highest performing PWM signal generators in its class.
With unparalleled flexibility of waveform creation and synchronization, the PWMs can generate the waveforms and meet timing requirements of the toughest control applications. With features such as high resolution duty cycle control, enhanced deadband support, and asynchronous PWM trips, applications will be able to run at higher frequencies, respond more quickly to changing loads, and respond near instantaneously to unstable system conditions.
Integrated analog in a microcontroller
System benefits of integrated analog in a microcontroller.
Integrated analog greatly benefits many applications requiring power efficiency and the need for tightly coupled high-performance analog peripherals within a single MCU. This helps play a significant differentiating role in simplifying the analog front end design. By selecting a C2000 MCU with integrated analog, many system level costs are reduced along with the bill of materials and the board footprint. The C2000 MCU family offers a variety of analog peripherals, such as ADC, DAC, sigma-delta filters, over-voltage and PWM protection, with the purpose of increasing performance while reducing system costs.
Maximize feedback reactivity and accuracy.
- Accurately sample signals with 12-bit and 16-bit Analog to Digital (ADC) converters
- Increase operating frequencies with ADC conversion rates up to 12.5 mega samples per second (MSPS)
- Real-time system protection with responsive analog comparators — 50ns pin-to-pin response time
- Interface with high performance external sensors using C2000 MCU high resolution captures
Sensing peripherals in C2000 MCUs
|Programmable gain amplifiers||Amplify input signals without the need of external op-amps|
Analog peripherals in C2000 MCUs
The information below highlights the key features of each analog integrated peripheral and recommended device to begin evaluation.
The analog integration and performance you need to reduce cost and decrease board area.
Blazing fast ADCs give you accurate feedback in the time windows you need it. High speed comparators allow you to accurately test your feedback signals and quickly shutdown or alter system behavior. Integrated opamps reduce external component cost. Internal oscillators, watchdogs, VREGs, and power on reset/brown-out reset protection give you the system support you need without the extra cost and hassle of implementation.
Safety & security
Intellectual property housed in a product’s firmware can provide key competitive advantages for a business in the marketplace and is at a high risk of theft. It is straightforward enough to do a visual component teardown of a system for purposes of copying an end product, but protection of the firmware running on the MCU prevents full duplication of the working system. Another scenario that is increasingly common is co-development of the firmware. Many times certain system firmware is outside the main engineering team, perhaps even outside the company. In these situations, one party sometimes wants to keep their firmware private, while still allowing the second to develop and test a portion of the program on the same system.
|C2000 MCU series||Security enablers||Detailed security features|
|Software IP protection||Code Security Module (CSM): Ability for user to block unauthorized access or programming of firmware stored in on-chip memories|
|Debug security||Emulation Code Security Logic (ECSL) via CSM: Ability for user to enable full debug access to memory via a password|
Learn more about how these types of threats can be addressed by security enablers on most C2000 devices.
SafeTI™ design packages help designers meet industry standard functional safety requirements while managing both systematic and random failures. Using SafeTI components helps make it easier for customers to achieve applicable end-product safety certification and get to market quickly with their safety critical systems which are pervasive in our world today.
The connectivity you need to make a system whole
From serial interfaces like I2C, SPI, UART and even McBSP to protocols such as CAN and LIN to standards such as USB and FSI, C2000 Real-time Control MCUs come with a variety of connectivity options to keep applications in sync.
- TMS320x2802x, 2803x Piccolo Serial Communications Interface (SCI) RG (Rev. C) (PDF, 0.24MB)
- TMS320x2833x, 2823x Multichannel Buffered Serial Port (McBSP) Reference Guide (Rev. B) (PDF, 0.79MB)
- TMS320x2803x Piccolo Enhanced Controller Area Network (CAN) Reference Guide (PDF, 0.34MB)
- TMS320x2803x Piccolo Local Interconnect Network (LIN) Module Reference Guide (Rev. B) (HTM, 0.01MB)
- TMS320x2802x, 2803x Piccolo Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) Reference Guide (Rev. B) (PDF, 0.29MB)
- TMS320x2802x, 2803x Piccolo Inter-Integrated Circuit (I2C) Module Ref. Guide (Rev. D) (PDF, 0.25MB)
Piccolo and Delfino MCU families address wide-ranging real-time control applications.
- Price points from entry to top performance
- Application-tuned feature-sets
- Integrated flash memory sizes from 16 KB to 1 MB
- Temperature ranges from –40°C to 125°C and AEC-Q100 qualification
- Wide array of package options
The C2000 Real-time MCU line contains the Delfino and Piccolo MCU families. Each family consists of various MCU series. Each series – shortened with a trailing x (e.g. F2803x) - will have multiple generic part numbers (e.g. F28035), and even more orderable part numbers (e.g. TMS320F28035PNT). Tools are typically built with, and documentation usually refers to, the superset (largest) part number in the series.
Small cost. Big Integration.
Through high levels of analog and system integration combined with powerful control peripherals and processing, the Piccolo MCUs series of microcontrollers bring real-time control to cost-sensitive applications. Customers can reduce system costs while enjoying high levels of performance made possible by breakthrough accelerator technologies.
- 40 - 120 MHz C28x
- 16 - 512 KB Flash
- Floating point options
- CLA co-processor
- VCU accelerator
- TMU accelerator
- Up to 4.6 MSPS, Dual S/H ADC
- High speed comparators
- Delta Sigma Filters
- High resolution PWMs (down to 150 ps)
- Programmable Gain Amplifier options
- USB support options
High performance unconstrained.
The Delfino MCU series of C2000 Real-time Control microcontrollers brings leading floating-point performance and analog integration to control applications. The Delfino MCU series of microcontrollers simplifies development and delivers world class processing for demanding, real-time applications. The series features the new dual-core microcontroller running at 200 MHz on each CPU and also has single core options running up to 300 MHz.
- Single or Dual-core C28x at up to 200 MHz each
- Floating Point Unit
- Trigonometric math unit (TMU)
- Viterbi Complex Unit (VCU II)
- Up to two programmable 32-bit floating-point real-time accelerators (CLAs) on chip
- Up to 1 MB of Flash
- Up to dual DMA controllers
- High Resolution PWMs (down to 55ps)
- Four 16 bit ADCs, 1 MSPS
- 32-bit QEP and Capture modules
- Programmable PWM Trip
32-bit fixed-point line.
The fixed-point 32-bit microcontroller family consists of high performance, fixed-point MCUs.
Part number decoder
Understanding C2000 real-time control MCU part numbers.
|InstaSPIN software optional|
|Package type||(See product page for package offerings)|
|Tape and reel optional||R = Tape and reel|
C2000 real-time MCU control videos