|Package | Pins WSON (DSQ) | 10|
|Operating temperature range (°C) 0 to 125|
|Package qty | Carrier 3,000 | LARGE T&R|
Features for the BQ24040
- 1% Charge voltage accuracy
- 10% Charge current accuracy
- Pin selectable USB 100 mA and 500 mA maximum input current limit
- Programmable termination and precharge threshold, BQ24040 and BQ24045
- High voltage (4.35 V) chemistry support with BQ24045
- 30V Input rating; with 6.6 V or 7.1 V input overvoltage protection
- Input voltage dynamic power management
- 125°C thermal regulation; 150°C thermal shutdown protection
- OUT Short-circuit protection and ISET short detection
- Operation over JEITA range via battery NTC – 1/2 fast-charge-current at Cold, 4.06V at Hot, BQ24040 and BQ24045
- Fixed 10 hour safety timer, BQ24040 and BQ24045
- Automatic termination and timer disable mode (TTDM) for absent battery pack with thermistor, BQ24040 and BQ24045
- Status indication – charging and done
- Available in small 2 × 2 mm2 DFN-10 package
- Integrated auto start function for production line testing, BQ24041
- Functional Safety-Capable (BQ24040)
- Safety-Related Certifications:
- IEC 62368-1 CB Certification (BQ24040, BQ24045)
Description for the BQ24040
The BQ2404x series of devices are highly integrated Li-Ion and Li-Pol linear chargers devices targeted at space-limited portable applications. The devices operate from either a USB port or AC adapter. The high input voltage range with input overvoltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters.
The BQ2404x has a single power output that charges the battery. A system load can be placed in parallel with the battery as long as the average system load does not keep the battery from charging fully during the 10 hour safety timer.
The battery is charged in three phases: conditioning, constant current and constant voltage. In all charge phases, an internal control loop monitors the IC junction temperature and reduces the charge current if an internal temperature threshold is exceeded.
The charger power stage and charge current sense functions are fully integrated. The charger function has high accuracy current and voltage regulation loops, charge status display, and charge termination. The pre-charge current and termination current threshold are programmed through an external resistor on the BQ24040 and BQ24045. The fast charge current value is also programmable through an external resistor.