The DRV8706H-Q1EVM is designed to evaluate the DRV8706H-Q1, which is an integrated, automotive qualified brushed DC motor driver. The DRV8706H-Q1 is a highly integrated H-bridge gate driver, capable of driving high-side and low-side N-channel power MOSFETs. It generates the proper gate drive voltages using an integrated doubler charge pump for the high-side and a linear regulator for the low-side.
The device uses a smart gate drive architecture to reduce system cost and improve reliability. The gate driver optimizes dead time to avoid shoot-through conditions, provides control to decreasing electromagnetic interference (EMI) through adjustable gate drive current, and protects against drain to source and gate short conditions with VDS and VGS monitors.
A wide common mode shunt amplifier provides inline current sensing to continuously measure motor current.
The DRV8706H-Q1 provide an array of protection features to ensure robust system operation. These include under and overvoltage monitors for the power supply and charge pump, VDS overcurrent and VGS gate fault monitors for the external MOSFETs, and internal thermal warning and shutdown protection.
The DRV8706H-Q1EVM has a full H-bridge consisting of four N-channel MOSFETs that drive motors bi-directionally at up to 15-A RMS, 20-A peak current. The EVM operates from a single power supply for the analog power and from the USB line for the digital power, which can be customized to be externally supplied. A negative 18 V reverse battery protection circuit, along with a 20 A RMS rated PI filter are provided to clean up the power supply input and protect against incorrect battery connections.
- 4.9-V to 37-V, up to 15-A RMS, 20-A peak current H-bridge Smart Gate drive EVM in SPI and HW variants for automotive, brushed DC motor applications
- Smart Gate Drive architecture with slew rate control, dead-time handshaking 0.5-mA to 62-mA peak source and sink current outputs
- Wide common mode current shunt amplifier with inline sensing, gain settings, integrated PWM blanking scheme and feedback resistors
- Integrated protection features: driver disable pin, VDS/VGS, supply, charge pump, thermal, and SPI only offline diagnostic monitors monitors
- Doubler charge pump for 100% PWM and independent half-bridge, PH/EN, PWM and Split HS and LS Solenoid control PWM modes