This reference design presents a traction inverter single-phase power stage with three 12-V car battery inputs, 4.2-W bias supply solutions for hybrid electric vehicle and electric vehicle (HEV/EV) systems. All bias-supply solutions accept a wide input range of 4.5 V to 42 V DC from a 12-V car battery, and generate outputs as +15 V, –8 V or +20 V, –4 V configurable and up to 180-mA output current. The power stage includes the isolated gate drivers with 5.7-kVRMS reinforced isolation and designed in 100-mm × 62-mm form factor fitting on SiC/IGBT half bridge modules. It includes isolated DC bus sensing, isolated temperature sensing, logic shoot-through protection and diagnostic features. Apart from startup, efficiency, load regulation tests under low voltage input, all bias supplies are also connected with power stage and IGBT module for CMTI, double pulse, and short-circuit tests under high voltages.
- Traction-inverter, single-phase, power-stage design includes dual-channel isolated gate driver, isolated DC bus voltage sensing, and isolated temperature sensing
- Three types of SiC/IGBT bias-supply solutions for IGBT/SiC isolated gate drivers
- Wide-VIN converters over the input voltage of 4.5-V to 42-V DC
- Output configurable as +15 V, –8 V or +20 V, –4 V at loads up to 180 mA for driving Si IGBT and SiC MOSFET modules
- Primary-side regulation with no optocoupler for extended lifetime and small form factor