8.2.2 Detailed Design Procedure
To begin the design process, determine the following:
- Maximum power draw for PCB regulator selection. For this calculation use the maximum transient power supply current specified in the datasheet. The lock time for each channel is typically very short, so this power calculation should not be used for the thermal simulations of the PCB.
- Maximum operational power for thermal calculations. For this calculation use the Average Power Consumption number in the datasheet.
- Select a reference clock frequency and routing scheme.
- Plan out channel connectivity. Be sure to note any desired polarity inversion routing in the board schematics.
- Ensure that each device has a unique SMBus address if the control bus is shared with other devices or components.
- Use the IBIS-AMI model for simple channel simulations before PCB layout is complete.