This is a reference design for high-reliability, low-latency network communications for substation automation equipment in smart grid transmission and distribution networks. It supports the parallel redundancy protocol (PRP) specification in the IEC 62439 standard using the PRU-ICSS. This reference design is a lower-cost alternative to FPGA approaches and provides the flexibility and performance to add features such as IEC 61850 support without additional components.
- Compliant to IEC 62439-3 Clause-4 specification for PRP Ethernet communications
- Traffic filtering based on VLAN IDs, multicast/broadcast support and built-in storm prevention/supervision mechanism
- Zero-recovery time in case of network failure
- Dual-ported, full-duplex 100-Mbps Ethernet
- Fully programmable using PRU-ICSS provides a platform for integration of additional applications