Click on the colored blocks to view or sample recommended solutions
Mobile Internet Device (MID) is a type of electronic mobile device which enables consumers to take their "mobile world" with them, wherever they go. It provides high-quality video and full-page Web browsing experience in a portable device, taking advantage of the network bandwidth to deliver an optimized mobile web browsing experience.
The system can be designed with an OMAP™ 3 processor, such as the OMAP3440, which addresses the performance and power needs of the emerging MID market today, or with an OMAP 4 processor for future designs. OMAP processors today deliver exceptional multimedia features and a full Web browsing experience with large, vibrant displays.
OMAP 3 offers:
- Superscalar ARM Cortex-A8 RISC core
- IVA 2 + Audio accelerator supports multi-standard (MPEG4, WMV, Real, H.263, H.264, JPEG) encode/decode at D1 (720 x 480 pixels) 30 fps
- Integrated Image Signal Processor (ISP) for faster and higher quality image capture
- Choice of industry-standard mobile Web browser engines (e.g. Mozilla Firefox, Opera, WebKit, Internet Explorer, NetFront, etc.)
The OMAP 4 offers:
- Designed to drive smartphones and Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs)
- IVA 3 hardware accelerators enable full HD 1080p, multi-standard video encode/decode
- Faster, higher-quality image and video capture with digital SLR-like imaging up to 20 megapixels
- Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore with Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP)
- Integrated POWERVR™ SGX540 graphics accelerator drives 3D gaming and 3D user interfaces
- Highly optimized mobile applications platform
- OMAP4430 operates at up to 720 MHz
- OMAP4440 operates at 1+ GHz
Core subsystem components:
- A highly integrated power-management unit (PMU) that supports the power and peripheral requirements of the OMAP™ application processors. The IC contains power management, an audio codec, a USB high-speed transceiver, an ac/USB charger, LED drivers, an ADC, a real-time clock, and embedded power control. The power portion of the device contains three buck converters, two controllable by a dedicated SmartReflex™ class-3 interface, multiple LDOs, an embedded power controller to manage the power-sequencing requirements of OMAP, and an RTC and backup module. The audio codec in the device includes five DACs and two ADCs to provide multiple voice channels and stereo downlink channels that can support all standard audio sample rates through several inter-IC sound (I2S™)/time division multiplexing (TDM) format interfaces. The audio output stages on the device include stereo headset amplifiers, two integrated class-D amplifiers providing stereo differential outputs, predrivers for line outputs, and an earpiece amplifier. The input audio stages include three differential microphone inputs, stereo line inputs, and interface for digital microphones. Automatic and programmable gain control is available with all necessary digital filtering, side-tone functions, and pop-noise reduction.
- Single-touch or multi-touch LCD screens with display resolution of WVGA (854 x 480) that make it possible to display web pages in full-page width. The LCD screen itself is controlled by a very low-power touch screen controller designed to work in power-sensitive, portable applications. Since power is of utmost importance, these controllers typically run on a single-cell battery with a supply voltage as low as 1.2V. Additionally, the touch screen controllers offer programmable resolution (8 or 12-bit), the control logic to measure touch pressure, and touch screen measurement preprocessing to reduce bus loading, thus reducing the consumption of host processor resources that can then be redirected to more critical functions.
- Connectivity to Bluetooth, WLAN, and GPS
- High ESD Protection for HDMI, DVI and any high-speed external interfaces to ensure a robust, reliable system. Low input capacitance (< 1.5 pF), low leakage current (< 1 nA), and low supply current (< 1 nA) are some of the features required for a seamless application with excellent signal integrity.
Application Notes (1)