This reference design features multiple approaches for protecting AC or DC analog input, DC analog output, AC or DC binary input, digital output with a high side or low side driver, LCD bias supply, USB interfaces (power and data) and onboard power supplies with 24, 12 or 5V input used in multiple grid applications against overvoltage, overload and transients (1.2/50 us, 42-Ω) using flat-clamp surge protection, ESD devices, eFuse or a load switch. The design monitors temperature, humidity, magnetic fields and power supplies for diagnostics.
- Protecting AC or DC analog inputs or outputs against overvoltage and transients ( ±1.5 KV) interfaced to the ADS8688 (±20-V) , ADS8588S (±15-V ) input range, and DAC8771 with ±15-V output range
- Input overvoltage and current sensor open protection for AC inputs interfaced to ADS131E08 or ADS131A04 with ±4-V input range
- Protecting digital IO against overvoltage and transients for 24-V or 48-V rated binary inputs or outputs using voltage detector, self-powered isolated digital input receiver and digital output driver rated for 24-V output with high-side or low-side drive capability
- Generation of analog power supplies including dual supply for AC analog input measurement from a single 5-V input and accurate, stable references for SAR or Delta-Sigma ADC
- Protecting onboard power supplies against transients and overload including ±12-V, LCD bias supply configured for 18 V, USB power supply with programmable or fixed output current limit and differential USB data lines