The SimpleLink™CC2652RB device is the industry’s first multiprotocol 2.4 GHz wireless crystal-less microcontroller (MCU) with integrated TI Bulk Acoustic Wave (BAW) resonator technology supporting Thread, Zigbee , Bluetooth 5.2 Low Energy, IEEE 802.15.4, IPv6-enabled smart objects (6LoWPAN), proprietary systems, including the TI 15.4-Stack (2.4 GHz), and concurrent multiprotocol operation through the Dynamic Multiprotocol Manager (DMM) software driver. Integrated BAW resonator technology eliminates the need for external crystals without compromising latency or frequency stability. The device is optimized for low-power wireless communication and advanced sensing in building security systems, HVAC, medical, power tool, wired networking, portable electronics, home theater & entertainment, and connected peripherals markets.
The highlighted features of TI Bulk Acoustic Wave (BAW) resonator technology include:
- Unparalleled RF performance with high-performance frequency stability (±40 PPM) across temperature (-40°C to 85°C) and full operating voltage (1.8 V to 3.8 V), ultra-low jitter and phase noise to meet various wireless communication standards clock requirements.
- Efficient development and production cycles by eliminating crystal oscillator sourcing and reducing costly board re-designs and re-certification due to external crystal layout and assembly issues.
- Optimized Bill of Material (BOM) and PCB area savings (12% average).
- Superior long-term clock stability and aging performance (10 years) in comparison with most standard quartz crystal (longest 5 years aging) enables longer product lifecycles.
- Robust vibration and mechanical shock resistance (3× lower PPM variance versus external crystal) reduces product replacement costs from external crystal failure and allows for operation in harsh environments, such as in motors or heavy machinery.
- Mitigation of potential timing related side channel attacks from external clock tampering.
The highlighted features of the SimpleLink™ MCU platform include:
- Wide flexibility of protocol stack support in the SimpleLink™ CC13x2 and CC26x2 Software Development Kit (SDK).
- Longer battery life wireless applications with low standby current of 0.84 µA and full RAM retention.
- Industrial temperature ready with lowest standby current of 5.6 µA at 85°C.
- Advanced sensing with a programmable, autonomous ultra-low power Sensor Controller CPU with fast wake-up capability. As an example, the sensor controller is capable of 1-Hz ADC sampling at 1 µA system current.
- Low SER (Soft Error Rate) FIT (Failure-in-time) for long operation lifetime with no disruption for industrial markets with always-on SRAM parity against corruption due to potential radiation events.
- Dedicated software-defined radio controller (Arm® Cortex®-M0) providing flexible low-power RF transceiver capability to support multiple physical layers and RF standards.
The CC2652RB device is part of the SimpleLink™ MCU platform, which consists of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Low Energy, Thread, Zigbee, Sub-1 GHz MCUs, and host MCUs that all share a common, easy-to-use development environment with a single core software development kit (SDK) and rich tool set. A one-time integration of the SimpleLink™ platform enables you to add any combination of the portfolio’s devices into your design, allowing 100 percent code reuse when your design requirements change. For more information, visit SimpleLink™ MCU platform.